- Solar photovoltaic panels produce 1,700kWh of electricity per kWp per year (assuming unshaded, central Queensland location, with panel degradation levelised across the 25 years)
- The embodied carbon (negative values in year 0) is 1,965kgCO2e per kWp. (Brookhaven National Lab reports 1,380kgCO2e per kWp for the solar photovoltaic panels. World Steel reprots 2.5kgCO2e per kg of galvanised steel. There is 234kg of galvanised steel consumed per kWp.)
- The fuel consumption rate of a diesel engine is 0.25 litres of diesel per kWh of electricity generated. (PDF)
- The emissions of diesel fuel are 2.6676kgCO2e per litre of diesel consumed. (PDF)
- The fuel consumption rate of a coal power station is 0.47kg of coal per kWh of electricity generated. (eia website)
- The emissions of coal are 2.383kgCO2e per kg of coal consumed. (PDF)
How much can we save with solar ?